This may not be the nicest summer we have seen in Ontario, however we have had plenty of warm weather and sunny days. With that, there is never a bad time to enjoy some summer recipes with your kids. It is a great way to keep them entertained this summer and for everyone to enjoy some delicious treats in the end. Below are a few tasty recipes that both you and them are ensured to not only enjoy eating, but will cherish the process along the way.
Rocket Pops! Layered Popsicles.
- Popsicle Molds
- 1 (3oz.) box gelatin, assorted flavours and colours
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup ice
- Combine 1 flavour of gelatin with ½ cup sugar.
- Pour 1 cup boiling water over mixture and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in ice.
- Pour first layer into molds or paper cups to desired height.
- Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Repeat for all desired layers.
- Once the last layer is poured insert popsicle sticks and freeze for several hours or until completely set.
- Store leftover gelatin in refrigerator.
- 1 (16oz.) bag large marshmallows
- 1 (16oz.) bag chocolate chips (or whatever chocolate you like to melt)
- 1 (16 oz.) package graham crackers
- Crush graham crackers in a big zip lock bag until they are like break crumbs
- Place crumbs in a bowl
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave stirring often until smooth
- Stick a toothpick in a marshmallow and dip in chocolate all the way then in graham cracker crumbs half way
- Set on wax paper to dry
Ice Cream…in a bag!
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 sandwich Ziplock bag
- 1 gallon Ziplock bag
- 3 cups crushed ice
- 1/3 cup rock salt
- Put first 3 ingredients in the smaller ziplock bag and seal bag (make sure it is tightly closed). Put ice and rock salt in the larger bag and then add the filled small bag. Seal the large bag.
- Squeeze bag until ice cream is thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove small bag, unseal, and eat with spoon,
- No need to even dirty a bowl!
Chocolate Dipped Fruit Cones & Cheesecake Fruit Dip.
- 1-15 oz. tub Cool Whip
- 1 package cheesecake instant pudding
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 package 12 sugar cones
- ½ cup chopped bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 3 cups fruit of choice, cut into small pieces
- Mix together fruit dip, whip until smooth
- Melt chocolate in a microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring between each one, dip cones in, set on parchment paper, and let dry (can refrigerate to speed things along)
- Meanwhile, cut fruit of choice into little pieces and stir together
- Fill cones with fruit, top with a dollop of fruit dip
Try one if not all of these recipes with your kids this summer and enjoy!